This article has been written by The Food State Company and appears with their permission. The original article can be found here.
Cancer and heart disease have been Britain’s number 1 killers for many years. Here we look at simple steps to improve cardiovascular health.
The following nutrients are known to support good heart health:
Positive Foods for Heart Health:
- Cereal grains oats, whole brown rice, buckwheat
- Vegetables garlic, onions, spring onion (including green tops), celery (including leaves), broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, spinach, lettuce, capsicum
- Fruits freshly squeezed & diluted lemon juice, ripe pineapple (including stem), ripe banana, berries, apples, pears, figs, dates, olives, apricots, plums, red grapes, blueberries, prunes
- Legumes most members of the bean family including dahls and pulses, butter beans, black beans, green peas, dried peas, barley, soya beans
- Teas, Herbs & Spices green tea, sage tea, camomile tea, ginger, gingko biloba, ginseng, basil, sarsaparilla
- Nuts & Seeds sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds taken in moderation, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, walnuts, pecan & macadamia nuts
- Fungi Reishi & Shiitake mushrooms
- Dairy 3 portions weekly of organic live yoghurt
- Additional Foods a glass of good quality organic red wine at most once a day
- Cereal grains refined cereals, refined flour products
- Vegetables excess garlic
- Fruits orange, orange juice, grapefruit & grapefruit juice
- Legumes soya milk
- Nuts & Seeds old Brazil nuts and high intake of peanuts
- Fish mackerel (due to high heavy metal content)
- Poultry battery chicken, hens’ eggs
- Meats pork & pork products, reduce intake of proteins from red meat, salami
- Dairy cow’s milk, reducing dairy to a minimum, reduce non-organic cheese
- Fats hydrogenated fats, refined cooking oils, fennel oil, trans-fatty acids
- Food Additives tartrazine, artificial sweeteners, sulphates (preservative)
- Beverages avoid dehydration - ensure adequate water intake, excess coffee intake; take alcohol in moderation.
- Avoid low fat foods, refined carbohydrates, white sugar (sucrose), high additive processed foods, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, pickled foods
- Cooking methods fried foods
All of the supplements mentioned in this article can be purchased from Barannes Health Shop in Colomberie. We also stock a wide range of healthy nuts, seeds, oats, grain and rice. Not forgetting of course, our large range of fresh fruit and vegetable juices and smoothies, which have made Barannes famous!